Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On Seasonal Baking



(double open faced Strawberry pie)


As I sit in Maryland with the rain pouring down, I begin to mourn the season of cheap berries and delicious stone fruit, and look forward to apple season.


When it comes to pies, and baking with fruit, season can be extremely important. There's a reason you don't see many fresh cherry and blueberry pies in the winter. The cost of berries makes it not worth it. I'm saving my cream and nut pie recipes for the winter and churning through my fruit recipes. Here's what I hope to make before Summer is over (shut up I understand that it's October)


Whole Wheat Rasberry Ricotta Scones
- Fresh Cherry Cheesecake
Peach Crostada from Huckleberry
- Chocolate rasberry cake from Paris Sweets book
- More strawberry pies


To me Summer is the time for stone fruit pastry, Fall is time for nuts and apples Winter is time for cream and citrus, and Spring is time for berries!


One piece of advice I have is to look in the super market before you choose what you're going to make so you don't break the bank, but you don't miss your favorite seasons. Right now Hatch Chiles are everywhere which is the once a year time to get these great quality chiles, and I know I would have cried if I missed Rhubarb season earlier this summer.


I'm also fairly sure that I'm the only person on Earth who can't stand pumpkin pie, so this year I'm going to make a pumpkin roll (cream cheese frosting is the best thing in the world) and perfect an apple pie!


Look out Fall! You're totally going to get your ass kicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment