Monday, August 30, 2010

Special Maryland Update!

As some of you know, I went to High School and my family lives in suburban Maryland in the Montgomery county area. I recently went home for a visit, and wanted to share the top places that I have to eat when I go home.

Caspian House of Kabob
Although the Germantown location is no longer owned by the original owner, I still prefer it. Their marinades are delicious, their rice is spot on, and their yogurt sauce is out of this world (I like to eat it with a spoon). They are known for their kabobs, which you can order with rice, salad, or 1/2 rice and 1/2 salad (my favorite). I prefer the chicken, but all the kabobs have super tender high quality meat. They serve it with fresh baked flatbread and yogurt sauce. The food takes a while because they cook it after you order it, but to save some time we always call ahead and let them know we'll be eating in. They also have a location in Gaithersburg at the Kentlands.

19911-C North Frederick Rd.
Germantown, MD 20876
301-353-0000


Crisp & Juicy
Come for the chicken, stay for the sauces. This is a chain of great Peruvian rotisserie chicken. They serve it with cream based hot or mild sauces, and everything I've had there is excellent. I tend to stick to the yucca fries, the plantains, and the black beans and rice but rumor has it the sandwiches are also spot on. The location I go to is in old town Gaithersburg. They also do excellent catering and it's always nice to have some extra tubs of their sauces sitting around as they go on everything. 


18312 Contour Rd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
301-355-7377

http://crispjuicy.com/


Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe
This is the place. I cannot get enough of this restaurant. I have only been to their Bethesda and Gaithersburg locations, but the parent company has locations all over the US. Their chips and salsa are utterly addictive, freeflowing, and can be taken home to boot. The chips are super thin, well salted, and flavorful and the salsa is spiced but not spicy, it includes lots of roasted tomatoes giving it a really full flavor. Everything else I've had there is amazing as well. We usually order the chicken fajitas, which includes some of the best spanish rice I've ever had as well as unlimited tortillas, onions, a jalapeno, beans, and pico de gallo and guacamole. Cheese and sour cream cost extra but are not necessary. The sour cream sauce for their enchiladas is delightful, and their tamales are really excellent. They serve great frog legs for anyone who hasn't had them and all of their food is really approachable, but excellent. It all goes great with a classic margarita, or their frozen sangria. At least come here for happy hour and enjoy the chips and salsa if nothing else. They get crowded around the dinner hour, but with call ahead seating, you can put your name on the list before you leave the house


231 Rio Boulevard
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
240.632.2150

http://www.unclejulios.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment